2014 Goal #7: Document my life more…
and buy a new lens.. and maybe a new camera.
At the beginning of January, I wasn’t sure where I wanted to go in terms of my camera and lens collection. All I knew was that I wanted to use my camera more and iPhone less, but it was too heavy to carry with me every day and I was ready to upgrade. I saw a blog post about the a7 shortly after the new year, and then another, before finally looking into the specs of the camera. I was hesitant to switch from Nikon to Sony, but the a7 fits the bill for me on all fronts: full frame, compact, lightweight, manual focusing features, and other random cool things like being able to use my phone as a remote. I also sold my fisheye lens and bought the new 35mm to go with the camera. Definitely the nicest lens I’ve owned.
After about a month of having the camera and lens, I’d say it’s a match made in heaven so far! Look out for more photography in the future, especially when the weather isn’t so crappy.
New Collage + Things I did this weekend
Spent way too much time on Pinterest today, but it inspired me to make this so I’m counting it as time well spent. Other things accomplished this weekend:
+ I managed to delete about 7 GB of old photos, so I’m up to 17 GB total. So far it’s been easy since I have no use for the photos from my old job.
+ Started crafting a dream catcher for my bedroom. Unfortunately I ran out of cord so that’s a “to be continued” project for now.
+ Saw the Michigan women’s gymnastics team compete and win against Ohio. And also kept a close eye on the game tracker for the basketball game against MSU… couldn’t even handle listening to it on the radio!
Almost forgot that tonight’s ticket was the Canadian ticket. Happy that he lived up to his “ticket game” with 26 points. Go Stauskas, #GoBlue!
I believe this will be the last of the butterflies for now. Not very excited for the return of the incredibly cold weather this week, but maybe being stuck in my apartment will inspire me somehow :)
Had a lazy day of collage making, basketball watching, and internet browsing. (Plus I cleared another 1.8 GB of old stuff this week, bringing my total up to 10.05 so far!)
I have a pink door and more space on my computer
Way back in October I wrote about my plans for finishing up and organizing my entry area. As of today I’ve only managed to complete two of the four tasks, but between the fresh coat of paint and the place to hang my coat, it’s a significant improvement! I can’t wait to test the door with chalk.
In other news, I also cleaned another 2.5 GB of old and useless photos off my computer last night, bringing my total up to 8.25 GB for the year! I can already tell that this should make the actual organizing of the remaining photos a lot easier.
Look! I managed to stay focused long enough to finish this tonight. One day I will get sick of the triangles and circles and other basic shapes, but today is not that day. In fact, I’m contemplating a small series of these.
If nothing else, I have accomplished a small fraction of one of my major 2014 goals tonight: I cleared 6 GB of photos that I have no possible use for anymore. Now I have just under 220 GB and am very glad that I made this a year-long goal.
I’m itching to work on a new collage tomorrow, the trick is just getting my brain to focus on the task after spending all day very focused at work. I’m thinking I might need to download one of those apps that blocks all social media… sometimes it’s just too easy and addictive to look at what everyone else is making. Any advice from friends and followers out there?
Well, I definitely failed at posting much of anything last month. But it’s a new year, so I’m starting fresh. If I’ve learned anything from 2013, it’s that I absolutely fail at being productive if I don’t have lists of things to do. So here’s the list of 2014 goals and resolutions:
- The Big Goal: Open my own business selling my personal artwork. This has been on my mind for at least three years, but a fear of putting myself out there has always held me back. And I’m announcing this to hold myself accountable this time around. I’m totally happy with my full-time job, so it will just be a secondary creative outlet for me. Particularly for the times I’m feeling very feminine!
- Exercise at least three times a week and walk more on a daily basis. Everyone has some resolution like this, but last year I did much better on the walking front after going car-less. I’d like to start tracking my miles with a pedometer of some sort and also try to get some real cardio happening throughout the week.
- Take at least one long trip and two shorter trips. This is going to be a hard one, but it’s so necessary for my mental health. I rung in 2013 in Tampa and then never took a vacation after that during the year. That caught up with me by the end of the year and I don’t want to get worn out like that again.
- Tackle the student loans. I’m entering my third year of repayment in 2014. Slaughtering the loans in five years instead of ten has been the goal and I’ve been pushing for it more than anything else. Welcome to the #1 reason I don’t have a car.
- Finish decorating my apartment in time to enter Apartment Therapy’s Small Cool Contest. I don’t expect to win (at all!), but this is a good goal post and it should be interesting to get feedback from absolute strangers. I’ve just always loved the contest.
- Shrink my wardrobe. Clean the computer. I have a feeling it’s going to be one or the other with these two, so they’re getting combined. I’d like to pare my clothes down enough to open up another drawer in my dresser for storage. And I’d like to finally organize my massive 223.5 GB collection of photos and the much smaller collection of 20 GB of music.
- Document my life more… and buy a new lens.. and maybe a new camera. I definitely want to work toward regularly documenting my life again (something I did extremely well in 2012 with my 365 project), which will probably happen through this blog. However, my basic 18-55mm lens just broke and my camera is turning 8 in 2014. There will be at least one shock to my wallet there.
- Document my recent work and update my portfolio. Worst thing about print work is having to document it and it’s clear how much I hate it as I haven’t bothered since getting my first job. I barely have a portfolio site because of that. And I’m putting this at the bottom of the list because lord knows it’ll be the last thing I get around to! So family and friends will just have to wait to see everything I’ve done the last two years :)
I generalized a lot for this public post, but I try to focus on measurable goals when it comes to things like this so I will know when I’m successful— rest assured that I have a much more specific outline written out elsewhere. I also intentionally left off stuff like hanging out with friends more… just because making things like that measurable is weird to me, and also fairly difficult. I’d much rather just go with the flow in those areas of my life!
That’s about it— welcome, 2014!
Happy new year! Here’s a glimpse of the big puck drop in Ann Arbor! Just hanging out with drunk wings and leafs fans here.
Collage Challenge, Day 30
I can’t believe November is over. And I can’t believe I actually managed to finish this, considering I decided to start exactly a month ago. The plan moving forward is to try to create something every few days when I can, just depends on how busy things are at work!
Collage Challenge, Day 28
Happy Thanksgiving! In honor of the snow this morning, I bring you a warm weather themed collage.
Collage Challenge, Day 27
Gave myself a day off from pretty much everything yesterday, so I’m getting caught up now :)